So far, I’ve spent about 21 hours getting assignments, assessments, discussion questions, group discussion topics, exit questions, and “tech tool of the day” stuff ready for the Spring semester. New textbook (yay!) meant time for an overhaul. Have to edit assignments since I teach one section in a “normal” classroom setting and teach the same class in an online, self-paced setting. But I’m so glad I work part-time in the education industry with it’s cushy hours and vacation times where I have all this time off from anything work-related! I’m just kidding. Most of the people I know are very intelligent and realize that good teachers do not get all of Christmas Break completely “work-free”.
But seriously – loving the way that the semester is shaping up. And I’m still having a hard time wrapping my brain around the fact that I am heading into the Spring of my FIFTH year teaching at Iowa Central Community College!! My tenth semester as a College Professor. Wow!
December 30, 2014 was the fifth anniversary of the day we moved into Fort Dodge, IA. There are times that I think, “Has it already been five years?!” Other times my brain runs in the opposite direction – “We’ve ONLY been here five years?”
Maybe it’s because so much has happened in those five years –
- One child graduates from Cosmetology school
- Two children graduate from high school (to be followed by the last child in the family this Spring)
- One child graduated with her A.A. and will complete her B.A. in May
- I’ve directed 5 shows at the local high school (with number six auditioning in late February!)
- I’ve taught nine semesters as a college professor (starting number 10 in 11 days!)
- I’ve played in the pit for 3 shows at the college (and the fourth starts soon!)
- Hubby has done a number of weddings and, sadly, funerals.
- Eldest child has gotten a full-time job and moved out on her own.
- One child is engaged and getting married before 2015 ends
And my list could go on. Have there been negative experiences? Sure. No human being alive is completely free from frustration or difficulties. But there has been so much about our time here that has included really good things! So happy anniversary to my family and I! Can’t wait to see what the next five years holds!